Monday, November 9, 2009

humble beginnings at piano

Ever since I was six years old, I always wondered what was making that wonderful sound emanating from my mom's fingers. I was curious, and so I went to her and she said, "I'm playing the piano, honey." Once I tried it, I knew that "this was for me". I started to take lessons, and finally I became a moderately great player for my age. This led to the boost of my interest, and later on, what do you know, I've had recitals here and there! This all led to me being a happy piano tutor.

I became so addicted. Chopin was my god. I wanted to learn all he had. Etudes left and right, waltzes just everywhere! I wouldn't even study sometimes just to play the piano, waking neighbors, annoying even dogs, making my parents worried. However, I can say that this is all worth it! The piano is such a great instrument that nobody ever really tries to respect today. All we hear are those loud bands with their flashy guitars and bad haircuts. But you know what? Piano is the way to go. They say music soothes the savage beast. I say the piano calms the devil himself.

At the age of 15, I became the finale for countless recitals. I thought I was at the top of the world, and I guess that really is the feeling playing the piano. How my fingers seem to glide through the keys in a constant, consistent, ebbing, flowing melody- what a wonderful feeling. If magic exists, this is what it is.

Now that I'm 21, I've been thinking of joining bands. I told them I don't care if I sing or not, just as long as the piano is the main instrument. Most would laugh, jesting my integrity. It's such an appalling truth today- that notion that effects on guitars rule bands. I'm thinking of my own solo band soon. It's not that far to reach, but just as long as I can show the whole world my music, even without making money, I'd be satisfied with my life. That's all that matters!

I don't care how ugly a piano looks, are how old it smells. Being out of key is never a problem. It's the beauty in YOU that's important, that will be able to bring out the artistry in the instrument. Nothing can stop you other than yourself. Just let the music guide you to the stars. It sounds simple, but of course you must still work to reach this state of endless euphoria. I worked hard, but hey, I was happy with what I did. There are no regrets in music, or anything else you love for that matter.

Today, I see a lot of potential in kids, just like me back then. I want to teach them to let their skill not remained untapped, and be brilliant with the piano. It's really simple and fun. Plus I won't bite! Not only kids, but even young adults who still aspire to be brilliant with the instrument! I'm your friend, your guide, your piano tutor.

No comments: